OK, OK, based upon the above cheer like title that just came out of my fingertips, it seems that football season is getting even to me. As a long time Coloradoan I am a tried and true Bronco fan if I have to state a team but even the other night I saw someone on the sidelines I didn’t remember and asked Steve who it was. He replied, “That’s the coach”. I asked, “What happened to the young guy…” You can imagine how the rest of the conversation went.
So yeah, I don’t really watch football. I do enjoy football season though. Why? The getting together, the lazy afternoons and….. the food. Paleo nutrition pretty much eliminates most of the standard go to snack crap we all ate at football parties growing up but there are so many great replacements for said crap. For instance, yesterday I was reminiscing about jalapeno poppers(I’m a cream cheese vs cheddar girl myself) and decided to try my hand at making a new and improved paleo popper. I was out of jalapenos but did have some lovely poblanos. So, while these peppers won’t “pop”into your mouth in one bite, they could theoretically be finger food and were oh so tasty!!!
Paleo Poblano Poppers
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat
- Preheat your grill(If you don’t have a grill you could also use your broiler)
- Dice your bacon and start it browning in the pan
- Chop your onion. Once the fat from the bacon begins rendering add your onion and cook until soft
- Add your ground meat
- Sprinkle your cumin
- Cook until the mixture until the meat is done
- Once the meat is done stir in the tomato paste, chopped tomato and chile verde, stir to distribute
- Take your cored poblanos(seeds removed, tops off, and stuff the peppers with the mixture. Stope between each spoonful to really stuff the meat mixture down in to the pepper before adding more
- Grill for 3-4 minutes each side. I turned mine once the skins were bubbling and starting to slightly char
- Eat up!!!
The little poppers are great to make ahead, will reheat easily and the spices and flavors will get better with a little time in the fridge. The poblanos also offer a nice kick with out being overwhelmingly hot to some like a jalapeno might be.
What’s your favorite paleo party snack?